Followers

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Three Thousand Pounds of Love

The date was January 14, 2010 at about 11:00pm and I was completely overwhelmed and distraught over the disastrous images that flashed across CNN. Life had literally been shaken out of Haiti and people were dying all around. The deadly earthquake had not discriminated against anyone, as men, women and babies, rich and poor, black and white lay dead in the streets. Others were trapped alive under the rubble praying and hoping to be rescued. As I sat watching and sobbing bitterly in the late night hour, desperately trying not to wake my husband, all I could do was talk to God. “What can I do, Lord? I’m just one person, but I’m willing. What can I do to help?”
Immediately following my sincere plea, the Lord began to minister to me about the power of one. He told me that I could do all things through Christ who strengthens me and that nothing was impossible with Him. The very next day I went to work and posted a sign and a large box in the lobby asking people to give. Food, water, baby wipes and pampers, women necessities, batteries, medical supplies, survival equipment, etc. Before long, the items came pouring in. The news about my box spread all over and people began to open their hearts and gave. The most touching giver was a five year old boy who brought his piggy bank to church and offered to give his "life savings to help the children of Haiti."
People gave so much that at one time I began to feel like I had gone in way over my head. At the end of four weeks, I was able to ship to Haiti: thirteen cases of water, seven 55gallon barrels and fifteen boxes full of food and necessary supplies; A total of 3,000 pounds of love was shipped to help a handful of devastated earthquake survivors.
I will never be able to thank all those who stretched their hands and hearts to give to the victims of Haiti's devastating earthquake, but God saw and took notice. Proverbs 19:17 says, "He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and He will reward him for what he has done."
Thanks again for helping me do accomplish what only started out as a small appeal to the Lord. He truly is able to do exceedingly, abundantly more than we could ask, think or imagine. Continue to be blessed and be a blessing.

Yours in Him,
Author Roschelle

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing. Continue to let God speak to your heart. And continue to write these awesome blogs!

    ReplyDelete